The azygos arch is usually divided during esophagectomy. To achieve thorough lymphadenectomy up to upper mediastinum, many surgeons prefer to retract the distal stump of the azygos arch by pulling out the thread which ligates the stump to the skin through the dorsal side of the intercostal space. Ho …
Introduction: Recently, single-incision laparoscopic cholecystectomy has been accepted as an alternative to conventional laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The aim of this study was to retrospectively evaluate the safety and feasibility of unique gallbladder retraction methods using an ENDOLOOP® (Ethicon, Tokyo, Japan) and Lapaherclosure™ (Hakko Medical, Tokyo, Japan).
· Intercostal retractions. Your intercostal muscles attach to your ribs. When you breathe in air, they normally contract and move your ribs up. At the same time, your diaphragm, which is a thin .
· Acute post-thoracotomy pain. Severe acute pain after thoracotomy due to retraction, resection, or fracture of ribs, dislocation of costovertebral joints, injury of intercostal nerves, and further irritation of the pleura by chest tubes is a normal response to all these insults ().Acute pain after video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery is considered less severe.
Since chronic post-thoracotomy has significant neuropathic components, the etiological role of intercostal nerve injury cannot be ignored . It is therefore logical that current research towards reducing post-thoracotomy pain is focused on methods to prevent damage to the intercostal neurovascular bundle during surgery.
Thoracoscopic surgery for tracheal and carinal resection and reconstruction under spontaneous ventilation Long Jiang, . local application of 1% lidocaine. Optimally, the intercostal muscle and pleura were inﬁltrated under direct vision or palpation through the skin . retraction sutures were also placed in each of the airways. This technique
Intercostal retractions: Happen between each rib Wherever they're happening, chest retractions mean your body's not getting enough air. If you're having them, or you're with someone who is, get .
· One of the most common cause of intercostal neuralgia is an injury caused during surgical procedure. Most thoracic surgery involves spreading of the ribs with metal retractor and during retraction intercostal nerve, which lies underneath the nerve can get pinch or crushed resulting in damage to intercostal nerves.
· According to the surgery clinical indications consensus for rib fractures by the European and American experts in 2013 (Table 1), the surgery option should be considered under the following three types of situations: the situation that surgery is the only option, pain control, and improving the long-term quality of life.
US9999414B2 US14/604,686 US201514604686A US9999414B2 US 9999414 B2 US9999414 B2 US 9999414B2 US 201514604686 A US201514604686 A US …
· Abstract: Robot-assisted thoracic surgery (RATS) is a relatively new but rapidly adopted technique, pioneered by the urological and gynecological departments. The primary objective of this study is to present the current status, a series of improvement and innovation of Da Vinci robotic surgery in the Department of Thoracic Surgery at First Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University.
· A 2-cm port for the ultrasonic shears was placed at the eighth intercostal space, posterior axillary line. The last 0.5-cm port was placed in the posterior axillary line at the sixth intercostal space and used for retraction and countertraction by the surgeon.
Department of Surgery, Kwong Wah Hospital, 25, Waterloo Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China. Email: [email protected] Abstract: Due to the difficulty in bleeding control and visualization of the surgical field, lesions in the postero-superior segments are generally considered not suitable for laparoscopic resection. However, with
In hepatic segments VII and VIII, the rates of conversion to open surgery were significantly lower for cases involving intercostal ports (6.7 vs. 42.9 and 0 vs. 38.9%; P = 0.035 and 0026 .
· Abstract: We report the basics and rational of the technique for major pulmonary resections (MPR) that has been used in 1,050 patients. (I) Full thoracoscopic technique without access incision but with the number of ports that is necessary for optimal exposure. To minimize chest wall trauma and torquing, we use a deflectable scope and the diameter of instruments is reduced to 5 mm …
Learn breast surgery with free interactive flashcards. Choose from 500 different sets of breast surgery flashcards on Quizlet.
· Minimally invasive Ivor Lewis esophagectomy is a significant advancement in the treatment of middle and lower esophageal cancer. The predominant anastomotic technique for this procedure is stapled anastomosis with the use of a circular stapler .The classic hand-sewn pursestring stapled anastomosis is very difficult , and the difficulty has been significantly reduced with the use of …
Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China. Email: [email protected] Uniportal video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) has become one of the most exciting new developments in minimally invasive thoracic surgery in recent years. While the …
Proving a Surgery/Nerve Damage Medical Malpractice Case. A patient who may have suffered avoidable nerve damage during surgery must typically prove a number of elements in order to win a malpractice case: a health care provider committed medical negligence at some point during the surgical procedure (or immediately pre- or post-op), and
Number: 0016. Policy. Aetna considers any of the following injections or procedures medically necessary for the treatment of back pain; provided, however, that only 1 invasive modality or procedure will be considered medically necessary at a time.. Facet joint injections - An initial facet injection (intra-articular and medial branch block) from C2-3 to L5-S1 is considered medically necessary .
· We introduce a novel 2-cm single port designed to minimize intercostal muscle and nerve damage in video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) lobectomy, and compared it with the 3-cm traditional single port. We analyzed, retrospectively, the clinical data, safety, convenience, incision complications, and postoperative pain and numbness in 81 patients who underwent either modified (n …
Han-Yu Deng 1,2#, Xi Zheng 2#, Guha Alai 1, Ze-Guo Zhuo 1, Gang Li 1, Jun Luo 1, Yi-Dan Lin 1. 1 Department of Thoracic Surgery, 2 Lung Cancer Center, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu 610041, China. Contributions: (I) Conception and design: HY Deng, YD Lin; (II) Administrative support: YD Lin, HY Deng; (III) Provision of study materials or patients: G Alai, ZG Zhuo, J Luo; (IV .