The patients were divided into the research group receiving cervical dilation balloon combined with intravenous drip of oxytocin and the control group receiving an intravenous drip of oxytocin at a concentration of 0.5% for labor induction (n = 60 for each). The effectiveness and safety of labor induction were evaluated by the rates of .
· A sterile cervical exam will be performed after spontaneous Foley catheter expulsion to evaluate post-balloon cervical dilation. No further procedures or tests specific to this study will be required beyond this point; only data collection on the above study outcomes during the remaining course of the patient's labor will be recorded.
The Cook® Cervical Ripening Balloon with Stylet (CRBS) is used for mechanical dilation of the cervical canal prior to labor induction at term when the cervix is unfavorable for induction. This resource page includes a procedural video and several documents on the use and benefits of the CRBS.
· A Foley bulb or Foley balloon is a catheter-like device that can be used to get the cervix to soften and open when labor needs to be induced. The catheter is inserted into the cervix and filled with a saline solution. The saline solution causes the catheter to inflate like a balloon, putting pressure on the cervix to help it dilate.
EfficacyMethods of InsertionComplications and RisksVariations in ApplicationsOutpatient UseUse in Women with Prior Cesarean DeliveryPatient SatisfactionCostSummaryCervical dilation - Wikipedia
Used for mechanical dilation of the cervical canal prior to labor induction at term when the cervix is unfavorable for induction. Safely ripens and dilates the cervix without pharmaceuticals. Eliminates the potential side effects of repeated medications. Silicone balloons adapt to the contour of the cervical …
· Abstract. Aim: Traditional methods of cervical dilatation such as Hegar rods and laminaria are associated with the damage leading to the risk of cervical incompetence or require two sessions with higher risk of infections. In this study, a new dilator based on expanding triple balloons is assessed. Methods: Cervical dilation with the triple balloon was evaluated in 15 women with various .
· Several studies have also evaluated whether the amount of inflation of the transcervical Foley balloon affects outcome. The first study compared a 30-mL Foley balloon with an 80-mL Foley balloon for preinduction cervical ripening and found that the 80-mL balloon provided significantly more dilation, faster labor, and decreased need for oxytocin. 21
· This operation has a high failure rate and many women require additional surgery, usually a hysterectomy: I personally have performed hysterectomy for one case after two failed attempts at cervical dilatation. Cervical atresia is usually caused by cervical amputation as well as upward creeping of the vaginal epithelium.
· Objective Although unequivocal benefits to ripening exist in the setting of intact membranes, ripening remains controversial in the setting of prelabor rupture of membranes (PROM). PROM complicates 8% of term pregnancies, which translates to approximately 270,000 births in the United States annually. We undertook a systematic review and meta-analysis (which adhered to the …
CRE™ Single-Use Pulmonary Balloon Dilatation Catheter. The CRE Pulmonary Balloon Dilatation Catheter is intended to be used to endoscopically dilate strictures of the airway tree. As the first balloon indicated for the airway–it is designed with three-in-one technology and provides successive, gradual dilation of strictures. Pulmonology.
The term cervical ripening refers to the process by which the cervix softens, thins, dilates, and becomes more elastic. The amount of ripening present is factored into the patient’s Bishop score. The Bishop score is a 13-point scale that takes into account five parameters: The amount of cervical effacement; The amount of cervical dilation
Difficult dilatation was experienced in three cases; the combined balloon and bougie technique  was used in two cases, while a retrograde dilatation  approach was applied in one case. Failed .
· Lateral cervical fluoroscopic images of Dog 9 during balloon dilatation procedure. (A) X1, X2, and X3 (white lines) are measurements of esophageal diameter. X4 (blue line) demarcates the esophagus through which the balloon dilatation esophagostomy tube must be centered.
Cervical insufficiency has been traditionally defined as painless cervical dilation that leads to mid-trimester pregnancy loss in the absence of other causes (e.g., labor, trauma, major fetal anomaly, stillbirth). Using this definition, the incidence of cervical insufficiency in the general obstetric population is between 1/100 and 1/2000 .
· For more than 400 years dilation was the mainstay in the management of esophageal obstruction. Absence of a pretreatment diagnosis and continued use of archaic devices and rudimentary techniques are partly responsible for unsuccessful dilations and esophageal perforations. The “controlled” disruption of all obstructions earned dilation the reputation of “one of the most dangerous .
An additional cited advantage of intracervical dilute vasopressin is reduction in the force required for mechanical cervical dilation, although there is variability in dosage in practice. For example, a randomized, double-blind study of 52 women used 20 mL of a dilute solution (4 units of 0.05 units/mL of vasopressin in 80 mL of normal saline) 16 .
· Cervical ripening may prevent the risk of uterine perforation and thus more severe complications such as hemorrhage. A randomized controlled trial evaluating the use of 200 μg of vaginal misoprostol before OH found a reduced need for cervical dilation, thus reducing operative time, with fewer trauma-related complications 6.
initiate cervical dilation [8,9]. Obstetric providers control dilation of balloon dilators with the volume of ﬂuid pumped into the bal-loon . Balloons used for cervical dilation are considered safe for the patient and easy for clinicians to use . In the case of head entrapment, mechanical dilation of the cervix with a balloon