· Tissue damage occurred in 1 case for the minimally invasive atrial retractor and 2 cases for the HeartPort retractor. The mean surgical times for retractor placement and mitral valve annulus exposure were 107.4 and 39.2 seconds for the HeartPort and minimally invasive atrial retractor retractors, respectively, with a difference of 68.2 seconds .
where differences are expressed relative to the HeartPort-retractor. Localized damage, likely caused by high pressure on tis-sue and device repositioning, consisted of longitudinal tears in the endocardium surrounding the annulus and was noted on 2 pigs: 1 instance for the MIAR and 2 for the HeartPort retractor. DISCUSSION
· Introduction We developed three types of new atrial retractors that facilitate totally endoscopic mitral valve surgery. Technique Tornado Retractor: This retractor, which is made of rigid thick wire has a unique appearance, and can be inserted atraumatically through a 3-mm skin incision. Butterfly Retractor: This retractor consists of two parts: a rigid thick rod and foldable blades. When .
The mean surgical times for retractor placement and mitral valve annulus exposure were 107.4 and 39.2 seconds for the HeartPort and minimally invasive atrial retractor retractors, respectively .
Designing innovative retractors and devices to facilitate mitral valve repair surgery Kazuma Okamoto, Ryohei Yozu Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Keio University, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan Correspondence to: Kazuma Okamoto. Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, Keio University, Shinanomachi 35, Shinjuku, Tokyo 160-8582, Japan.
Surgical apparatus for coronary surgery of a patient comprising contacting means being capable of providing a mechanical force against at least a portion of the patient's coronary organs according to its positioning with regard to said organs, positioning means to set said contacting means in a given substantially stable spatial position and orientation within a given volume, said contacting .
Introduction: The recent boost of the minimally invasive techniques for mitral valve surgery has led to the development of a dedicated surgical outfit, including retractors, arterial and venous cannulas, and surgical instruments. An effective left atrial retractor is crucial, since an optimal exposure is a prerequisite for a successful mitral valve repair.
· At our institution, the port-access surgery, via a right minithoracotomy in the fourth intercostal space, has become the standard approach not only for ASDs closure but also in cases of mitral valve surgery, tricuspid valve surgery, atrial myxoma, surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation, and ventricular septal defects (membranous or inlet types).
c 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. 175 A New Left Atrial Retractor for Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Surgery Michele Murzi, M.D., Marco Solinas, M.D., Stefano Bevilacqua, M.D., Tommaso Gasbarri, M.D., Mattia Glauber, M.D., and Alfredo Giuseppe Cerillo, M.D. Operative Unit of Adult Cardiac Surgery, “G. Monasterio” Foundation, Ospedale del Cuore G. Pasquinucci, IFC-CNR, Massa, Italy ABSTRACT .
· Methods. Between May 1998 and May 2008, 166 patients (median age, 44 years) had surgery for atrial septal defects in our institution. Of these patients, 118 (71%) had a patent foramen ovale (associated with atrial septal aneurysm in 48 cases), 33 (20%) had a wide ostium secundum defect, 6 (3.6%) had an ostium primum defect, 6 (3.6%) had a sinus venosus defect with abnormal …
An effective left atrial retractor is crucial, since an optimal exposure is a prerequisite for a successful mitral valve repair. Most of the available retractors require a supporting arm that is .
· In our case, we have two surgeons opening and closing, i.e. one exposes the groin while the other exposes the chest. We tend to easily finish cases in 3hrs skin-to-skin. I'm also a Stanford graduate and there have been a lot of advances in minimally invasive surgery since your first endoscopic pediatric repairs in 1993 and the Heartport days.
Reconstructive valve surgery encompasses a comprehensive system of valve analysis and related techniques based on three basic principles as described by Alain Carpentier and colleagues: restoring or preserving the full mobility of the leaflets, creating a large surface of leaflet coaptation and remodelling the annulus to provide an optimal and stable orifice area.1 Mitral valve regurgitation .
Operative Approaches to the Left Atrium and Mitral Valve: An Update A. Thomas Pezzella, Joe R. Utley, and Thomas J. Vander Salm Approximately 30,000 to 40,000 operations per year in the United States involve exposure of the left atrium and the mitral valve.
However, the need for surgery after the index procedure occurred mainly in the first 6 months of follow-up (78%) and mortality rates did not differ significantly at 5 years (20.8% vs. 26.8%; P = 0.4). Unfortunately, it must be stated that the MitraClip cases included in this study were performed at the very beginning of the experience with this .
Murzi M, Solinas M, Bevilacqua S, et al. A new left atrial retractor for minimally invasive mitral valve surgery. J Card Surg 2009;24:175-7. Jegaden O, Sassard T, Shafy A, et al. Evaluation of a new left atrial retractor for minimally invasive mitral valve surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011;141:297-9.
The invention has particular utility in mitral valve surgery, and will be described with reference to an adapter for securing atrial retractors to a conventional sternal spreader. One form of retractor mechanism which has been used for a number of years in mitral valve repair or replacement is known as a Carpentier retractor.
· Minimally-invasive mitral valve surgery has been in development during the last thirty years and now allows to perform mitral and tricuspid interventions, coronary bypass surgery, repair of congenital heart defects and more. Current state-of-the-art technology and clinical knowledge make possible to offer this approach in expert centers to a growing number of patients, who benefit from its .
The diseased or damaged valves are not able to open and close properly, thus allowing the mixing and backflow of blood (regurgitation). A double valve replacement surgery mainly aims at correcting the problem of valvular heart disease and involves both aortic valve replacement and mitral valve replacement.
· The retractor was then stabilised with a Codman retraction system. Exposure of the mitral valve was satisfactory in all cases and the mitral operation was then performed as usual with the visual aid of the Olympus ® endoscope. In 11 cases (4.6%), surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation was associated using either crioablation or microwave .